Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hey Johnny, who makes that front wheel?

I've been asked that question a lot lately, so here's the scoop. My buddy Justin who used to own and operate Foundation Choppers here in Orange County CA had them made several years ago. I believe he only had about 3-4 sets total made. The one on my bike is the last known one that's not attached to a Foundation chop. I'm really not a fan of billet wheels on a Sportster, but this one is the exception to the rule.

Below is the actual wheel he used for inspiration. It's a Mickey Thompson Rader from the 60's. They are still being made as re-pops. Recently I found a textured powdercoat that looks like raw cast aluminum. I plan to have the center of mine painted, so it will look more like this one.

So if ya' don't know, now ya' know...

3 comments:

WoMpY said...

Sweet!!! A semi-matching hubcap for the rear wheel would be dope.

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

didn't Justin make my rear wheel adapter?

Johnny Wolf said...

@ Wompy. Tnx, but I'm going to keep the solid disk. That's why I've been looking for a powdercoat that looks like alum cast. If I do the front it will tie it in with the rear.
@ Marshall, yep. Justin's the man. I'm bummed and stoked for him at the same time, he had to move out of state for work. But he is doing really good now. He's working on some top secret Sporty stuff as we speak...I could tell ya', but I'd have to shoot ya'.